The Rhode Island Commerce Corporation will begin accepting applications for the Site Readiness Program on February 1, 2021. The Site Readiness Program partners with municipalities and/or developers to fund municipal technical assistance and site-specific planning and improvements.
Funding will be available in two categories: site specific improvements and municipal assistance. Although there is no maximum award size, the maximum in 2020 was $125,000. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate other funding or supports for the project in the application.
Applicants seeking a second grant will be considered and should include the reasons a second grant would be beneficial to the project and the economic growth of the state.
Site Specific Improvements
Funding is available to support the planned or future development of specific sites. The activities we will consider funding include:
- Site specific planning and pre-development activities including property surveys, master planning, engineering surveys, or environmental studies.
- Site specific project improvements including activities that will support planned or future build-out of significant sites including infrastructure improvements, land assembly activities, site clearing or demolition, and building improvements.
Urban projects that are a minimum of 2 acres or 100,000 square feet of existing or planned building space, and suburban or rural projects that are 10 acres or greater will be prioritized for funding.
Funding through the program is also available to cities and towns to assist in the development of strategies and plans that spur development and growth in support of the municipality’s development goals. The activities could include:
- LEAN Consultation to streamline current land-use development and permitting processes.
- Training/Education for planning/zoning board members as well as Building Officials and Inspectors.
- Assistance with writing zoning ordinances, updating a comprehensive plan.
- Providing strategic planning effort support (including matching funds or support for federal grants) or marketing support that will lead to the development or redevelopment of significant sites in a municipality.