Rhode Island Commerce will begin accepting applications for the state’s new Site Readiness Program on October 1. Created in the Governor’s FY2020 budget and passed by the General Assembly, the program partners Commerce with municipalities and/or developers to fund municipal technical assistance and site-specific planning and improvements.
Funding will be available in two categories: site-specific improvements and municipal assistance. Applications will be accepted through November 15, 2019, for a first round of grants. Applications can be downloaded here.
Site Specific ImprovementsFunding is available to support the planned or future development of specific sites. The activities we will consider funding include:
- Site specific planning and pre-development activities including property surveys, master planning, engineering surveys, or environmental studies.
- Site specific project improvements including activities that will support planned or future build-out of significant sites including infrastructure improvements, land assembly activities, site clearing or demolition, and building improvements.
Municipal AssistanceFunding through the program is also available to cities and towns to assist in the development of strategies and plans that spur development and growth in support of the municipality’s development goals. The activities could include:
- LEAN Consultation to streamline current land-use development and permitting processes.
- Training/Education for planning/zoning board members as well as Building Officials and Inspectors.
- Assistance with writing zoning ordinances, updating a comprehensive plan.
- Providing strategic planning effort support (including matching funds or support for federal grants) or marketing support that will lead to the development or redevelopment of significant sites in a municipality.